After the phone call from Uncle Gary, the phones stopped. The room became quiet, except for the DVD that was playing. A DVD of 1600 pictures put to music. Pictures from Grandma’s life. Grandpa’s life. OUR lives. Her pride and joy. Her love. Her family.
I encouraged Dallin to say something to Grandma, but he shook his head. All of a sudden I could see my little three-year old boy in there. The three-year old boy that loved his “Grandma Great”. He was scared. He didn’t want her to die. I could see the love and the hurt in his eyes. I hugged him. I held him. I told him it was OK if he didn’t say anything. She knew he was there. And she knew he wanted to tell her how much he loved her. I have no question about that.
About 5 or 10 minutes passed, and I thought it was about time for us to go. As I looked back at Grandma to say goodbye, I noticed a tear streaming down her cheek! Uncle Kirk broke down, as he wiped it away. Then she started to OPEN her eyes. Jody called for Grandpa, who was almost asleep in a chair at the back of the room, and he hopped up out of that chair faster that I have EVER seen him move in my entire life! Dallin and I quickly moved out of the way, and Grandpa took his place by her bedside. She didn’t try to talk, just puckered her lips to give Grandpa one final kiss. He told her it was OK to go and she closed her eyes and slipped away.
It was a picture perfect ending to her life, really. Surrounded by loved ones, with Grandpa right by her side. Who doesn't want to go that way? The next scene was one I was not prepared for. I guess I never really thought about it. I don’t know why, but when I watched my grandpa sob and sob over her bedside, I lost it. COM-PLETE-LY. I was at peace with Grandma’s passing, but to watch my Grandpa experience pain, hurt and sorrow like that was more than I could bear at that moment.
When Dallin and I returned home, I told Kirt the news, and then I curled up on his lap and bawled like a baby. I got mascara ALL over his shirt and he didn’t even care. I thought was at peace, but I guess I still had some grieving to do. It’s still hard for me to grasp the concept of someone being here with us one minute and gone the next.
I am so thankful for the knowledge that we will be together as eternal families! This gives me great peace and brings much joy to my heart. My grandma lived a wonderful life and was always giving some kind of service. She taught me many things and was a wonderful mother, grandmother and great grandmother. She leaves behind such an amazing legacy. I truly hope I can be as wonderful of a woman as she is. I love you, Grandma.
7 comments:
So sorry for your loss, Amberly, but glad that you had such a wonderful grandma.
I know how difficult this loss is for you. I went through the very same thing with my grandma just a few short years back. You are in my prayers. Luv ya!
Sorry, but happy for you. She was a fun grandma. It was special that you could be there.
Love ya
Holy Cow I had to come back about 4 times to get through all your posts. Of course bawling each time cuz they were so tender and also because I too have a Grandma I loved and miss. I have been meaning to call you but wanted you to know I am thinking about you and am grateful you had such sweet moments.
Very sorry to hear about your loss, Amberly. She did indeed leave quite the legacy...you and your family among so many others. You are in our prayers.
These are beautiful pictures of your grandma. It was neat to read about something so personal and deeply meaningful to you. Your grandpa and family are in our prayers.
Annette
Oh Amberly! I just barely read this! I'm so sorry. I can't imagine watching that happen.
Post a Comment